Thursday, September 8, 2011

Glorious Joy


Molweni!

Unfortunately hello is about the extent of the new language of Xhosa that I speak... But I am learning more each day!   I tried posting a video but my internet wasn't up to speed so I apologize for not updating sooner!  

Experience This Far
Not even sure how to put this into words at all, but here we go.  First off Cape Town is beautiful.  There is nothing like it that I have ever seen.  I am only 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and can see it from the road.  Also Indian Ocean is just East on the other side of one of the mountains!  I am currently looking to buy a scooter or bike for my transportation while I continue to look for a place on my own to live before CPx.  Those are two big prayer requests.  While a praise is that I have been extremely welcomed by new friends from all over South Africa and the world who are all connected with All Nations!

On the first day we stepped in Masiphumelele where the closest township is to All Nations.  The children there are hungry for love.  The kids adore Whitney who is the other intern with Vulnerable Children.  All of them are in vulnerable situations, yet are so happy and always are smiling when you are around.  I will expand more on Masi as I have more time to reflect and a better idea how to put into words the extreme poverty they live in.  Please pray for influence the males lives that I will be interacting with.  I apologize to but of respect to the Xhosa people I will not be taking pictures for the first month while I am there because I don't want to portray the message that I am just there to take something from them.  

Reminders I'm In Africa NOT America
1.  Look at those llamas, oh I mean look at the Camel Farm!?
2.  Baboon Monitors - Literally a job to watch for wild baboons crossing the road or going into homes!




What God Has Taught Me

I had a great flight over from Minneapolis to Amsterdam.  Shortly after I had said the tough good byes to family and a close friend I was blessed by a God send named Robyn.  Robyn was one of the flight attendants  and she stopped me randomly to ask - are you a Christian?  I was awestruck!  I don't think I have ever been stopped before and asked that question.   After I paused and responded that I was.  I then preceded to ask how in the world could she could tell.  Her response was a benchmark part in my life.  She said had a large grin and said "The darker it gets, the brighter it shines."  Then she casually continued passing out the rest of the dinners around the plane as I sat stunned!  

As I wrestled with why this has happend twice in the past two weeks - with Robyn and another who may have not been a believer and is currently seeking to know more; I couldn't help but seek what God was trying to teach me.  I am reading through the New Testament right now and at that time I was on 1 Peter 1.  Verse 8 says   Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.  That was it!  God wants us to always live with inexpressible and glorious joy.   Our joy isn't supposed to be circumstantial or conditional as it is  many times for me.  It doesn't matter if you happen to be getting a tedious chest xray or flying across the country - we must let God's light shine and push out darkness together with joy.  I hope this is a great reminder to live for Jesus wherever you are because the darker it gets the brighter it shines! I look forward to hearing from and connecting with you!

5 comments:

  1. Jay going to the mother land and I didn't even know haha, but I am happy to see what you are doing may our good God keep blessing you, and have you be a blessing to whomever you connect with, will keep you in my prayers. Be bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I love that story about the flight attendant. Keep shining God's light!

    DG

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing beginning to your adventure. People openly noticing the light shining from within. Keep up with God's work. Can't wait to see what adventure lies next for you. Keep it up Bizz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lois Jacobs - BU President's OfficeSeptember 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM

    Hi, Jay,
    It's hard to believe you're already in Africa. I was thrilled to read your blog. You're such an inspiration to me. Thanks for the reminder to live a joy-filled life in all circumstances. God bless you in the days ahead as you adjust to life in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jay... We're in prayer for the provisions of a mode of transport, and a humble abode... Miss you

    ReplyDelete